In this blog, I will describe technical and soft skills that most employers are seeking when they are hiring. The technical skills are the skills that we learned through our career, and the soft skills are skills needed in order to function as a team or organization.
On the other hand, soft skills are non-technical skills that we developed throughout our life, mainly influenced by the environment we grew up, our parents, our peers. In summary, soft skills are skills that are influenced by our personality. Employers considered soft skills a very important part of every employee because in order to succeed in the workplace, teamwork is crucial. According to Kaushik from Economic Times (2014), the top 5 soft skills that employer are looking for are: humble candidates are willing to learn new skills and listen to others criticism, client focus, leadership, entrepreneurship, and executive mind-set (para. 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8). Therefore, soft skills compare to hard skills are what will make us stand up from the majority of the candidates.
As a personal experience of one of my current project, I notice that at the beginning of the project we as a team were having difficulty in deciding how to handle the situation because each of us were having different opinion a view on the subject. Eventually, each team member understood that in order to work as a team, we needed to be humble and cooperate with each other. The combination of soft and hard skills would improve our works individually and as a team.
- Coates, D. (n.d.). People Skills Training: Are you Getting a Return in Your Investment. Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://www.2020insight.net/Docs4/PeopleSkills.pdf
- Kaushik, A. (2014, September 11). 5 soft skills employers seek in a candidate – The Economic Times. Retrieved December 2, 2014, from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/jobs/5-soft-skills-employers-seek-in-a-candidate/articleshow/42280294.cms
- Most Popular Programming Languages of 2014. (2014, April 9). Retrieved November 21, 2014, from http://blog.codeeval.com/codeevalblog/2014#.VH1d_OfF8Wg=
- Picture 01-Hard and Soft Skills. Retrieved on November 20, 2014 from http://www.monarch.edu.au/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/soft-skill-saavy.jpg
- Picture 02-Technical Skills. Retrieved on November 21, 2014 from http://blog.codeeval.com/codeevalblog/2014#.VH1d_OfF8Wg=
- Picture 03- Blending of Soft and Hard Skill. retrieved on Novemeber 21, 2014 from http://rw360.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Soft-Skills-Diagram.jpg